We've received various inquiries regarding whether our club teams will be participating in either Power League or Premier League. UC Elite will not be registering any of our teams in league play and, instead, will only be registering and participating in NCVA Sanctioned Tournaments, with some of our teams having the opportunity to participate in select SCVA Sanctioned Tournaments.
In our past experiences with League Play, we have found that other than Qualifiers and Regionals, our teams played against the same teams repeatedly. We feel that with such a format players are denied the opportunity to compete against different skill-leveled teams. Also, the amount of traveling for single-day tournaments are felt to be unreasonable and not cost-effective for coaches and families. In the past, our teams have had to travel as far North as Sacramento and as far South as Fresno and Clovis regions for Power League's single-day tournaments.
So, then what are the benefits of being a tournament team?
- Players are able to compete against a larger and diverse pool of teams over the course of two or three days.
- Families are given notice ahead of time of tournament dates and locations, thus enabling them to make travel accommodations earlier.
- Limiting of long-distance traveling.
- This allows extended family and friends to come and support players.
- Guarantee that official referees will officiate matches.
- Guarantee that teams will be playing in a venue (i.e. San Mateo Convention Center) rather than a city's local high school or middle school.
Should you have any other questions or want to know more about being a tournament team, please feel free to send them over to our Volleyball Coordinator, Dana Llarena.